Pages

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Reflection# 1: Unit Q: Verifying Trig Identities


Verifying Trigonometric Identities

1. To verify a trigonometric identity means to simplify an expression until it looks like what they want you to verify it to. This is not the same as simplifying because in verification, you already know what you want your expression to look like; you are simply doing everything you see fit in order to make the expression match it. Verification often involves simplifying an expression so that it equals a simpler expression or it could also verify to the number 1 and many other variations.

2. The tips and tricks I have found helpful are manipulating expressions so that I can find pythagorean identities. When I identify a pythagorean identity, my problem usually goes in the right direction. When I get something that looks similar to a pythagorean identity, I take out a one and the result is usually something found on my Unit Q SSS cover sheet. When a problem involves different trigonometric functions, I like to convert everything to sine and cosine because usually something cancels out.

3. My thought process and steps I take in verifying a identity involve splitting the fraction if it is a polynomial numerator with a binomial denominator. I also like to get everything to equal 0 when I am working on concept 2 and 4. I also like to look at my verification's trigonometric function so that I know what I am trying to have in the end. This helps me convert everything to the appropriate function and also which things I need to cancel out.

No comments:

Post a Comment